Bob and Justin's Mad Movie Blog

My name is Bob. My friend Justin and I are aspiring filmmakers and we have pretty similar tastes in movies. This will include our take on what's going on in film and television today as well as updating you on the status of our own work.

Thursday, December 06, 2007

I Am The Last Omega Man

Vincent Price. Charlton Heston. Will Smith. Each has played the last man standing in films based upon Richard Matheson's novel, "I Am Legend." In 1964 Price played Dr. Robert Morgan in "The Last Man on Earth," Heston played Dr. Robert Neville in 1971's "The Omega Man," and Smith plays Neville in the upcoming "I Am Legend." The reason this is interesting to me is because I honestly didn't realize that "Legend" was a remake of a film that had already been made twice, most famously as "The Omega Man." How did I not know this? What's wrong with me? Well Warner Bros. certainly hasn't called attention to the fact that this story has been told on screen twice before.
This doesn't make me want to see it any less mind you. I can't imagine that this version is going to be too terribly similar to the others (which admittedly I have not seen). Let's face it, you go from Vincent Price to Charlton Heston to Will Smith over the span of 43 years, you're not exactly going to end up with carbon copies now are you? Besides, it's got to be better than the upcoming remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with Keanu Reeves as Klaatu. "Klaatu, barrada, DUDE! I totally fell out of my suit when I hit the floor!" But that's a blog for another day. For now I will leave you with the super awesome trailer for "I Am Legend," opening next Friday. Same day Seattle gets "Juno" so it's a big weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home