Bob and Justin's Mad Movie Blog

My name is Bob. My friend Justin and I are aspiring filmmakers and we have pretty similar tastes in movies. This will include our take on what's going on in film and television today as well as updating you on the status of our own work.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Michael Bay's "Lawrence of Arabia"

I just...I...I want to kill something. This from Brit Flick:

Nearly fifty years after the release of David Lean's epic film, "Lawrence of Arabia," Hollywood is taking another crack at it. Columbia Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer have commissioned Michael Bay, director of "Pearl Harbor" and "Bad Boys II" to "re-imagine" the story of the legendary Colonel T.E. Lawrence.
"It's one of the greatest stories ever told," said Bruckheimer. "It's the reason people get into filmmaking." Also, expect a more modern political edge to this Lawrence. "Given what's happening in the Middle East today, it only makes sense to re-examine Lawrence's story. To get the chance to re-tell it through today's lens is very exciting."
Originally portrayed by Peter O'Toole, Lawrence has not been officially cast as yet, though Johnny Depp is reportedly in talks to don the turban. In fact, none of the major roles have been officially filled yet, save Renee Zellweger as Lawrence's love interest.
"In the original film of course, there was no love story," explains Bruckheimer. "But we wanted to give today's audience something emotional to cling to." That won't be the only major change.
"I saw like part of it once on DVD at a friend's house," says Bay. "I was kind of buzzed and the sound was turned off, but I basically got the sense that this was really just about this guy riding this camel...and nothing ever happens. I thought, well this needs some action. So we're going to be doing a lot more battle scenes then the original film apparently has and we're doing it all on green screens. It's gonna be shot with a digital camera. I don't know why Dennis Lean didn't do that to start with. Apparently he shot it on 70 millimeter in the actual desert which seems ridiculous to me. I mean I guess it's admirable but really it's just stinks of amateurism."
This new "Lawrence" is set to begin filming this summer with a slated release of December of 2009 in the UK and US in hopes of claiming Oscar gold.

Welcome to April.

1 Comments:

At Thu Apr 03, 09:30:00 AM PDT, Blogger Mike the Marine said...

My eye has begun to twitch uncontrollably...

And now for something completely different - IMPORTANT INFO for when the zombies come:

http://www.oneplusyou.com/q/v/trapped

 

Post a Comment

<< Home