Bob and Justin's Mad Movie Blog

My name is Bob. My friend Justin and I are aspiring filmmakers and we have pretty similar tastes in movies. This will include our take on what's going on in film and television today as well as updating you on the status of our own work.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

And now the post-game.

Well that's it. The Oscars are over. As usual not much in the way of surprises but at least the best picture winner actually deserved to win best picture. How often does that happen?

So Supporting Actor, just as I expected, Javier Bardem was the big winner for "No Country." Again, I really wanted Casey Affleck to get it but Bardem was outstanding so I really can't complain.

Supporting Actress was definitely a surprise. Tilda Swinton was the last person I expected to get it. I was thinking sentimental favorite Ruby Dee or maybe Cate Blanchett's Bob Dylan would take it. Even Saoirse Ronan and Amy Ryan seemed more likely to me. I think Swinton wasn't really given enough to do in "Michael Clayton," but she's a wonderful actress and she's long deserved this kind of recognition.

Best Actor: Was there any doubt in anyone's mind that Helen Mirren was going to say, "The Oscar goes to Daniel Day-Lewis"? I promise I won't make a "milkshake" reference here (other than, ya know, that), but I'll say it went to the right man.

Best Actress: Marion Cotillard was a close second to Julie Christie for me. An excellent choice and I hope this gets more people to rent "La Vie en Rose." It's a very good movie and she's really outstanding in it.

Adapted Screenplay: When the Coens won this one I think there was little doubt about what lay ahead.

Original Screenplay: Like everyone else seems to, the Academy has Diablo Fever. I've made my feelings on "Juno" known already (ya know, "It's good but not THAT good"), but yeah, this one was almost as much of a lock as Bardem or Day-Lewis.

Director: After 12 films (10 of which I consider to be near great to great) the Coens finally won in this category. And unlike Martin Scorsese it's for a film that genuinely deserves the honor.

Picture: "No Country For Old Men"! The best movie to win Best Picture probably since "Unforgiven." Go Coens!

As for the show itself I thought Jon Stewart did a terrific job as host. Like Steve Martin, he's a natural for this kind of thing. He's gonna do this a lot in the future and I think that's a good thing.
I thought one of the nicest moments was Robert Boyle's speech when he received his honorary Oscar. At 98 he's still sharp as a tack and it's amazing how long he's been in the business. He did production design for Hitchcock and on "Fiddler on the Roof." It was wonderful to look at his eyes as he took in the ovation from the audience.
The other nice moment was Jon Stewart bringing Marketa Irglova (winner for best song for "Once") back out to speak after she was initially cut off before she could get a word out. A very classy moment.
I liked Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill playing the parts of Dame Judi Dench and Halle Berry respectively. I think I agree with Jonah. Rogen's is more of a Dame Judi Dench.
Well not much else I can think of really. I didn't get nearly as many of the technical categories right as I usually do. Two years ago I called nearly everything. This year I was about fifty-fifty. I'd say I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out this year. 2007 was an amazing year for film and I'm sad to see it go.
As for '08 I finally went to the first film of the year I even felt was worth seeing, Michel Gondry's "Be Kind Rewind." I'll post a review of it soon. Until then, I'd like to say...Oh no! Not the "wrap it up" music. I just want to say-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home