Bob and Justin's Mad Movie Blog

My name is Bob. My friend Justin and I are aspiring filmmakers and we have pretty similar tastes in movies. This will include our take on what's going on in film and television today as well as updating you on the status of our own work.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Back to Blogging.

Well you haven't heard from me in awhile, and really it's simply because there's been nothing to report. The last movie I saw in the theater was "There Will Be Blood" which I reviewed almost two weeks ago now. I've rented a few things, the best of which was "Rescue Dawn" which tells the amazing true story of Dieter Dengler, an American pilot who escaped a POW camp in the early part of the Vietnam War. Christian Bale stars as Dengler and it also features a fine dramatic turn from Steve Zahn. Jeremy Davies co-stars and I was happy to see him after what seemed to be a long absence but I have to say I'd like to see him play a different character for once. It's directed by Werner Herzog and overall it's a pretty darn good movie.
I've yet to say anything about the strike over here and since it's ground that has been covered well elsewhere I'll just say...this is probably going to get worse before it gets better. With show runners on new series such as "Journeyman" (a show I've really been enjoying) getting their walking papers it seems that a lot of new shows will be getting the ax. I just hope that "Chuck" survives. And I still plan to get around to watching "Pushing Daisies," which a few of you keep telling me I must do (you know who you are). I'll probably get around to that as soon as I finish up the episodes of "Mad Men" I recorded months ago.
The two shows I'm most concerned about are "Scrubs" and "Smallville," both in their seventh and final seasons (definite for "Scrubs," presumably for "Smallville"). I'd hate to see these shows that have had such incredible runs get screwed out of their finales. Like every other die hard fan of those shows I need closure.
The only good bits of TV news I have right now are the fact that we've got new episodes of "Friday Night Lights" for the next several weeks, and "Psych" and "Reno 911!" have both started up again. I'm especially excited about "Psych," a show that just seems to get sharper in its second season. James Roday is one of the funniest actors working right now in film or TV. Dule Hill is no slouch either as his long suffering pal.
Finally, a bit of a rant about the state of taste. So today's IMDB poll asks, which is your favorite comedy team to appear in more than one film together? I voted for the Marx Brothers but there are several other fine choices including Laurel and Hardy (my close second), Martin and Lewis, Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, Burns and Allen, Abbott and Costello, and the Three Stooges (to name a few). Who is currently residing in the number 1 spot? Who? Jay and Silent Bob. Hmm.
I mean I enjoy some Jay and Silent Bob now and again, but really...come on. I know that some of the voters won't be as familiar with the older stuff, but how can there really be that many people who think Jay and Silent Bob are funnier than the Marx Brothers? Or Laurel and Hardy. Or any of them. It's just wrong. Besides, even amongst the crop of current movie comedy teams I'll take Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, or Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd over Jay and Silent Bob any day. I leave you with Chico and Harpo (who happens to be silent).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home