Bob and Justin's Mad Movie Blog

My name is Bob. My friend Justin and I are aspiring filmmakers and we have pretty similar tastes in movies. This will include our take on what's going on in film and television today as well as updating you on the status of our own work.

Friday, July 13, 2007

"Transformers" (finally) and "Potter."

Finally getting a day off I at last had the chance to see "Transformers" at a time that wasn't ridiculously late. I could actually enjoy it and what better way to enjoy it than by seeing it at the theater of my childhood, the Oak Tree. It's where I saw "Top Gun" and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" as a kid but I hadn't been there in years. Very happy to see that the theater is pretty much just as I remember it. They didn't re-model but it doesn't look old and rundown either. But to the movie, yes!
"Transformers" as directed by Michael Bay had the potential to either be an absolute blast or a large steaming pile. I am happy to say that I had a blast. As a kid I liked Transformers but I wasn't nearly as into it as a lot of kids around my age. (I was all about "Star Wars" and "Ghostbusters.") Still, the gleeful geek in me was immediately hooked when I heard Optimus Prime (voiced by the original guy himself, Peter Cullen) telling me, "In the beginning, there was the cube." There's really no point into going into detail about the plot. It's pretty simple. There's these GOOD robots, see! And then there's these BAD robots... In the middle of it are teenagers Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) and Mikaela Banes (Megan Fox). Things get blown up real good and there's lots and lots of robot fights. What really makes this movie work as well as it does though is the performance of LaBeouf as the teenage everygeek. I had gotten kind of sick of hearing about this guy so much, but he's so great in this that I just don't care anymore. And I loved how the Decepticons, when you get right down to it, are really just bullies. They're not evil in the traditional aliens coming to destroy earth sense. They're just mean for the fun of it. What an incredibly entertaining movie. Michael Bay done good. 8/10

As I walked out to the parking lot I heard some guy blasting an eighties metal song, which only seemed fitting after watching "Transformers" at the Oak Tree. It was suddenly 1986 again and I didn't have a care in the world. So after "Transformers" I decide to see if my friend Maureen wants to go see "Harry Potter." As I understand it it's about this boy wizard and it's based on some books or something. It evidently has a bit of a cult following in Argentina. As luck would have it she was at that very moment on her way to see it at the Metro. Perfick!
"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," the fifth film in the series, while not as dark as I would have expected, is still full of some very heavy things. Many critics seem to be complaining of "Potter" fatigue. I don't see it. It's not quite as good as "Goblet of Fire" but it is very very good. Daniel Radcliffe gets better in the role every time and I love seeing the collection of some of Britain's greatest actors coming together, even if they only have a few minutes of screen time. Imelda Staunton is outstanding in her meaty role as the cheery yet vicious new professor Dolores Umbridge. As always though I just wish there were more of Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman. After the movie I listened to Maureen and her sister discuss the books at great length. I really want to know more about these characters, particularly Snape (Rickman's character) and Sirius Black (played by Gary Oldman). I need to finally start reading these books. I can see why the Argentinians are so into them. 8/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home