Bob and Justin's Mad Movie Blog

My name is Bob. My friend Justin and I are aspiring filmmakers and we have pretty similar tastes in movies. This will include our take on what's going on in film and television today as well as updating you on the status of our own work.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them HERE and we want them NOW!

As anyone who knows me well could tell you, I rate "Withnail and I" not only to be the funniest and possibly greatest film ever made, but also to be one of the greatest achievements in the history of civilization, right along side the pyramids, the Great Wall of China, and the dirigible. Most of you have never even heard of it, or if you have it's from me endlessly plugging it, quoting it, or otherwise singing its praises. The film (made in 1986) centers on two out of work actors in 1969 London, Withnail (Richard E. Grant) and a man known in the credits only as "I" (Paul McGann). In desperate search of an escape from their filthy apartment, they borrow Withnail's uncle Monty's cottage in the country and from there things only get worse. That in essence is the entire plot of "Withnail and I." But when the dialogue and performances are so perfect, and when the characters are so fully realized, plot really doesn't matter. It's almost impossible to find on a rental shelf, but Netflix has it. But this film has such a high re-watchability that you'll just want to go ahead and buy it. Here is a very interesting article from "The Independent":

"Withnail and I" Twenty Years On

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home