Bob and Justin's Mad Movie Blog

My name is Bob. My friend Justin and I are aspiring filmmakers and we have pretty similar tastes in movies. This will include our take on what's going on in film and television today as well as updating you on the status of our own work.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Vaseline on the Lens!

The ORIGINAL, unmolested by the hand of George Lucas and his digital goofery editions of the "Star Wars" trilogy were finally released on DVD today. Sadly, they're non-anamorphic (meaning on an HDTV you can either have gray space on the sides or stretch out the picture slightly) and the sound mix is only 2.0. The good news is, they look a lot better than I thought they would given that LucasFilm did absolutely nothing to clean them up (the transfer is taken directly from the 1993 laserdisc release). Having popped them all in it actually looks like "Jedi" is the worst looking one oddly enough. Well I could go on and on about "Star Wars" and George Lucas screwing us over every chance he gets, but I'm just not in the mood right now.
I'll just say this: Vaseline on the lens, quick entry into Mos Eisley, Han capping Greedo, no Jabba tail squishing, no screaming Luke, no pansy Australian voicing Boba Fett, "You're lucky you don't taste very good," the Sy Snoodles Band, Sebastian Shaw, and the Ewok Song...amongst other things. Finally I leave you with this. These are REAL improvements: