Bob and Justin's Mad Movie Blog

My name is Bob. My friend Justin and I are aspiring filmmakers and we have pretty similar tastes in movies. This will include our take on what's going on in film and television today as well as updating you on the status of our own work.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Pineapple Express

Last summer writers Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg delivered "Superbad," a teen comedy that rose far above that typically tepid genre. Now they're tackling another movie sub-genre: the stoner comedy. Some of you may ask, "Wait, don't I have to smoke weed to like this movie? Isn't that the only way I'll get it?" No. I never have. I've also never killed German terrorists in an L.A. high rise at my wife's Christmas party but it doesn't stop me from enjoying "Die Hard."
Dale Denton (Rogen) is a pot loving process server with a teenage girlfriend (well at least she's 18) and a dream of being a talk radio personality. His dealer, Saul Silver (James Franco), is in a perpetual haze. He spends his days watching seventies sitcoms and selling weed to people he doesn't like. Except Dale, who he has something special for today. It's a new brand of reefer called Pineapple Express, which Saul describes as "hands down the dopest dope I've ever smoked." Dale happily buys some on his way to serve his next client. That client however, turns out to be drug lord Ted Jones (Gary Cole) and he's in the middle of making a hit. Dale's drug induced haze makes his escape a bit difficult and noticeable. It doesn't help that Ted has a crooked cop (Rosie Perez) on his side. With no one else to turn to, Dale finds Saul and the two end up on the run.
Rogen and Goldberg clearly understand male friendship, while Rogen and Franco play it as only real friends could. They haven't lost a step since their days together on "Freaks and Geeks." Dale and Saul aren't best friends because they want to be. They just are and it's as if it's completely out of their control. The decisions these two make in trying to escape Ted's hit men (Kevin Corrigan and Craig Robinson) are often idiotic but believable. For one they're still high and for another, what would you expect from two guys who've never been chased by hit men before? It's rare that we see characters in movies making stupid decisions and we can honestly say, "Well...Yeah, I probably would have done that too." Rogen plays Dale as the more level-headed of the two. The straight man to Franco's brain-fried stoner. This is easily the best Franco has ever been in a movie. It's probably the funniest performance in a film so far this year and he's the best cinematic drug dealer since "Withnail and I's" Danny.
Director David Gordon Green is known for somber indie dramas such as "All the Real Girls" and "Snow Angels." This is the first time he's ever taken on comedy or action, let alone both in one film. He shows he clearly has the chops. The action sequences are well put together and are genuinely funny. He's also staged a fight scene that made me laugh harder than I have in a movie theater in a long time. Dale and Saul versus Saul's dealer Red (Danny McBride). It's awkward, ridiculous, and completely believable. It's also the sort of scene that seems to go on and on but for some reason that actually works to its advantage. It's a brilliant little set piece.
"Pineapple Express" is not quite to the level of "Superbad." Some characters and subplots don't work and the first few scenes feel a little off, but once it gets going it's an absolute blast. So far this is my favorite comedy of 2008. Well done Camp "Freaks and Geeks"! 8.5/10.

2 Comments:

At Sat Aug 09, 10:34:00 AM PDT, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I love the line about "Diehard" and very true ... I think there were some real stoners at my screening, though, because they started laughing hard during the trailers and never really stopped, but they didn't really annoy me too much since I was laughing pretty hard too

 
At Sat Aug 09, 10:34:00 AM PDT, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I love the line about "Diehard" and very true ... I think there were some real stoners at my screening, though, because they started laughing hard during the trailers and never really stopped, but they didn't really annoy me too much since I was laughing pretty hard too

 

Post a Comment

<< Home