Bob and Justin's Mad Movie Blog

My name is Bob. My friend Justin and I are aspiring filmmakers and we have pretty similar tastes in movies. This will include our take on what's going on in film and television today as well as updating you on the status of our own work.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Year (thus far) in review.

As we head towards the fall the time comes for studios and indies alike to serve up the most high-minded fare they've got. I am of course speaking specifically about "Alvin and the Chipmunks" and "The Comebacks." Two of the worst looking trailers I've seen in years aside, there are many films coming out gunning for Oscar gold. Some look amazing ("The Darjeeling Limited," "No Country For Old Men," "There Will Be Blood"), while I'm wary of others ("American Gangster" looks good but I fear that Denzel Washington is going to be in overwrought "Training Day" mode). Most of the films we'll see in the coming months will be dramas, but so far this year has been dominated by great comedies and I'm really glad for that. I hope there will be some more to come. I'm going to do a 0-10 rundown of every new release I've seen so far in '07, but first an explanation of my rating scale, because let's face it, it can seem a little strange sometimes. So here we go:
10/10- Outstanding in every way. Wouldn't change a thing.
9.5-9- Great movie that you can't miss.
8.5- Very very good.
8-7.5- Not without its flaws but a solidly good movie.
7- Good with noticeable flaws.
6.5- A lot to like but doesn't quite come together to make a good all around movie.
6- Not bad but only recommended for the very curious.
5.5-5- Mediocre. Not terrible but there are better ways to spend your time.
4.5-3- Bad. A redeeming quality here or there but not enough to be worth your time.
2.5-0.5- Varying degrees of awful. Stay far away.
0- Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector.

So here is the list of what I've seen so far. A few scores have been adjusted with either a second (in one case a third) viewing or just time to digest them. I don't write these things in stone after all:
Breach- 7.5
Music and Lyrics- 7.5
The Astronaut Farmer- 7
Reno 911!: Miami- 6.5
Zodiac- 10
300- 6
Black Snake Moan- 6
I Think I Love My Wife- 4.5
Amazing Grace- 8.5
Color Me Kubrick- 9
Shooter- 3.5
The Namesake- 8
Reign Over Me- 8.5
The Lookout- 8.5
Blades of Glory- 8
Grindhouse- 9 (Planet Terror- 9; Death Proof- 7; Fake trailers- 10)
The Hoax- 8
Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters- 6.5
Hot Fuzz- 10
The TV Set- 8.5
In the Land of Women- 7
Fracture- 6
The Flying Scotsman- 7.5
Spider-Man 3- 5
Everything's Gone Green- 8.5
28 Weeks Later- 6.5
The Ex- 4.5
The Valet- 7.5
Fido- 10
Knocked Up- 10
Waiter- 10
Ocean's Thirteen- 8.5
Alien Autopsy- 7.5
Eagle vs. Shark- 6
Live Free or Die Hard- 7.5
Ratatouille- 9
Transformers- 8
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- 8
License to Wed- 2
Sunshine- 5.5
Interview- 8
The Simpsons Movie- 6
Becoming Jane- 7
The Bourne Ultimatum- 9
Hot Rod- 7.5
Stardust- No number rating because I gave up with 20 minutes left, but what does that tell you?
The Ten- 6.5
Diggers- 8
Rush Hour 3- 5
Superbad- 10 (3 times I've seen it. It just gets better.)
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters- 10

I'll do a full review for "King of Kong" soon and I'm planning to see "Death at a Funeral" tomorrow, which I'm very excited about. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home